Monmouth RFC 2nds - 23

Crickhowell RFC - 35

CRICKHOWELL travelled to Monmouth RFC on a rain-soaked Saturday to play their second team in the first round of the Ivor Jones Cup.

The Parc Broyd outfit were the first on the scoreboard with a Leon Rees penalty which was closely followed by a try from Harry Purvis who dummied his way through. Monmouth struck back with a penalty of their own but it was not long before deceptive running from Crickhowell number eight Ryan James, resulted in another try.

Tempers got a little heated and the handbags came out resulting in a player from each side being yellow-carded. Shortly afterwards, Monmouth lost another player to the sin-bin.

Crickhowell scored another brace of penalties from the boot of Leon Rees, who also converted both tries.

Monmouth regained some credibility with another penalty shortly before half-time, leaving the score at 6-23.

When play resumed, industrious prop Andy Nichols powered his way over from a set piece with Rees again converting.

Crickhowell further increased their lead when a well-worked break from Harry Purvis, and a clever kick ahead into space saw speedy wing Harry Summers touching down.

With the game fast slipping away from them, Monmouth finally got their mojo working scoring three tries but it was too little, too late. The final score was 35-21.

Next Saturday, Crickhowell return to league action with an away game against Abersychan Alexanders.

Crickhowell RFC - 95

Bettws - 7

Crickhowell RFC out-scored all other teams in the National Leagues the Saturday before last when they ran in 15 tries against Bettws RFC.

First on the scoresheet with a brace of tries was Danny Davies closely followed by Ryan James. Bettws managed to strike back with a converted try of their own but it was to be their last score of the game. In the first half, Bleddyn Carrington, Tom Keane and Tom Canning each ran in further tries leaving the half-time score at 36 -7.

In the second half Carrington was first across the line with his second try. Matt Botting was next followed by Tony Perry, who scored within a minute of coming on to the field. Harry Purvis ran in a brace of tries of his own with Harry Summers, Jake Powell-Thomas and Lewis Logan also adding to the list.

The game was rounded off with a try by Connor Stephens. Scrum-half Leon Rees kicked ten conversions. Bettws battled valiantly but were no match for the Parc Broyd outfit on this occasion.

The score was a record for the club, who remain undefeated in their league with six wins out of six.

Prior to the kick-off, a minute’s silence was held in memory of “Libby” Broyd, the widow of former life-president Bob.