Rhydyfelin RFC - 25

Blaenavon RFC - 17

Blaenavon travelled to Rhydyfelin on Saturday knowing they would have to improve on the previous week’s performance at Senghenydd, but despite an improved showing they failed to make it count when it mattered most.

Blaenavon started off well with both sides playing quite an open game for the boggy conditions. The Rhydyfelin backs seemed more at home with throwing the ball about and with good support play were soon in a good attacking position from a driving line out on the Blaenavon 25.

Rhydyfelin rolling maul seemed unstoppable and they crashed over for their first try after 10 minutes play, converted, 7-0.

Shortly after Blaenavon conceded a soft penalty to make it 10-0, but they bounced back and a good through grubber kick by Luke Challenger left the Rhydyfelin full back stranded as flying wing Matthew Powell gathered up to cross for a well worked try in the corner which Darren Pearce slotted over to make it 10-7.

From a counter attack, Rhydyfelin ended up with a five metre scrum and from the attacking ball broke the line for their number eight to score in the corner, but the conversion was missed.

Rhydyfelin were excellent at neutralising the Blaenavon rolling maul through fair means or foul, and another penalty for each side saw a half-time score of 15-10.

Blaenavon failed to take points from both pressure and penalties early in the second-half. The home side on the other hand scored a breakaway try to make it 20-10.

Blaenavon made several substitutions and started to play a faster game which paid dividends when Matthew Powell, combined with Marcus Jones Luke Challenger, and Darren Pearce to cross under the post for his second try. Converted, 20-17.

Going into the last quarter Blaenavon squandered a few chances to bag a bonus point and it was left to Rhydyfelin to score in the last minute to put the game beyond doubt .

Blaenavon are away to near neighbours Nantyglo next Saturday at the Banner Field Nantyglo. K.O. 2-30pm.