Monmouthshire will welcome Velothon 2017 despite councillors' reservations

By Jake Chown  
Monday 8th August 2016 1:51 pm
Share

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

Plans to host next year’s Velothon have been given the green light, despite protest from some Monmouthshire councillors.

The cycling event has been provisionally approved by MCC, in light of concerns over road closures and financial questions.

The Velothon Wales has come to Abergavenny, and surrounding areas, for two years running.

Some councillors have echoed the sentiment of a section of local people who dismay at the extensive road closures during the event.

A council meeting last week saw several councillors voice opposition to the event, with some questioning the supposed economic benefits to the area.

Many local businesses claimed that this year’s event cost them thousands of pounds during one of the busiest times of the year, due to roads being shut off.

Councillor Martin Hickman, whose ward Llanfoist Fawr hosted part of the event, said organisers Run4Wales issued event information like ‘dictations’. ??The Conservative also claimed some of his Llanfoist constituents were stuck in their homes for up to ten hours, due to road closures in place most of the day. ??Despite the opposition, a vote was passed to support the Velothon in 2017, subject to further discussion with organisers.

But council leader Peter Fox urged his fellow members to support the event, he said, “It’s had its problems, it will get better and we will be able to iron this out.

“We have to hold them to account on this but let’s not stop something which is so popular.”??

Comments

To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0