Goytre - 4

Llanwern- 2


GOYTRE thundered back to the top of Welsh League Division Three last week in a hurly-burly affair against Llanwern at Newport Stadium, where the fiercely competitive nature of the encounter led to a generous littering of red and yellow cards.

Llanwern took the lead 20 minutes in, but the Plough Road brigade evened the account four minutes later when Luke Prosser netted his 19th of the season to go outright leader of the 'hot-shots' table.

Goytre's Kristian Wharton and Chris Watkins delivered two spectacular strikes from far out to put the reins of the game in their team's control at 3-1, but Llanwern gave themselves some breathing space when Daniel Bailey popped up in the final minute of the first-half to reduce the arrears.

Llanwern could have given the game a different outcome had they capitalised on the two good chances which came their way in the first couple of minutes of the second period, but as it stands it was Goytre who wrapped proceedings up when Chris Pritchard netted during the 55th minute.

During the incident-filled match Goytre lost defender Daryl Tippins to a red card and manager Sean Wharton was dispatched to the stands after the break for a verbal indiscretion.

Last Saturday, Goytre consolidated their status as Division Three leaders when Chris Pritchard's 35th minute goal won the day 1-0 for the Plough Road outfit, who continue to pursue the best bid for promotion they have had in many a moon.

Govilon - 4

Abercarn Utd - 6

ON Saturday Govilon cruised into an early 2-0 lead and seemed set to run away with the game before Abercarn staged a remarkable comeback.

Govilon took the lead after ten minutes when a bundled effort just found the back of the net.

Dean Morgan increased the advantage a few minutes later when he netted from the narrowest of angles.

Abercarn reduced the arrears when a free kick from Jamie Roche beat both the defensive wall and goalkeeper Craig Williams.

Abercarn drew level on the half hour mark with a penalty by Rory Davies and then took the lead for the first time when Roche just managed to get the toe of his boot onto a right wing cross. As half time loomed Leon Gilchrist brought Govilon level when his volleyed shot struck home.

Five minutes into the second half Abercarn regained the lead when a high ball deceived Williams who saw the ball fall into an empty net.

Govilon's Richard McCarthy went close with a long range effort and Dean Morgan fired straight at goalkeeper Blakemore as Govilon pressed for an equaliser.

However, it was Abercarn who went further ahead when Rory Davies was allowed too much space on the edge of the box and let fly with a diagonal shot into the corner of Williams's net.

With Govilon pressing upfield Abercarn's Jamie Roche was left free on the halfway line and wasted little time with a solo effort which saw Abercarn notch the half dozen.

Govilon manager Ben Bannon came off the bench and it was from his cross that Leon Gilchrist grabbed his second to reduce the scoreline to a two goal deficit.

Bannon was next in action in a defensive role clearing a goal bound effort off the line, before the referee blew for time

Next Saturday Govilon travel to Chepstow Town for a 2.00pm kick-off.

Meanwhile in Gwent County Division Two, Fleur-De-Lys Welfare gave Mardy a 4-1 mauling, and in Gwent County Division Three, the Abergavenny Thursdays put race to the sword, 3-0.