THE father of an Aberystwyth student, who died after he fell through an open first-floor window onto railings below, will campaign to improve safety at student accommodation. Tony Mason's son Gareth died in November when a drunken prank at his flat at 2 Upper Portland Street went wrong. Last week, Ceredigion Coroner Peter Brunton recorded a verdict of misadventure on Gareth's death. Speaking afterwards, Mr Mason (pictured) said he accepted that alcohol played a part in his son's death and promised to talk to students about binge drinking, but he also raised concerns over sash windows in student accommodation. He said: "I know that what happened to Gareth was down to alcohol and a prank and I could lecture on the evils of drink, we all know that drinking in moderation is the way forward, but what concerns us now as a family is the window that Gareth fell through and similar windows in student accommodation." Mr Mason, who owns Mason's Memories in Cardigan, wants landlords to consider fitting safety catches or mesh to the windows which could prevent someone falling from them. He said: "I don't think accommodation like this is suitable for students and sash windows should worry every parent in the country." Mr Mason has arranged with Aberystwyth University's Student Union to talk to students about the dangers of binge drinking and safety in the home. He hopes to hold similar discussions with landlords in the town concerning sash windows. Number 2 Upper Portland Street is managed by local letting agent, Philip Evans Estates Ltd. A spokesperson for the company said he was saddened by Gareth's death but did not want to comment. According to the Land Registry, Rhosena Khatun Alim is the owner of the property. The Cambrian News asked Philip Evans Estates if they could contact the owner for us but were told that the owner was not local and would not want to comment. It is understood that HMO grant works were completed at the house and passed safety requirements.