Brecon - 2

FOLLOWING last week's disastrous outing to Whitchurch, Abergavenny showed a remarkable improvement to take a strong Brecon team to the wire.

The Aber line-up had a slightly unusual look to it with Kevin Phillips in midfield, and debutante Harry Morgan, and Rhys Miles-Hewinson all joining the fray to make up for the missing players such as Huw Davies.

Brecon started the better of the teams, putting the home team's goal under constant pressure.

However, the theme of Aber's recent training has been defence, and it showed, with the central defence of Nick Farrell, and Issac Pritchard holding back the Brecon players.

Kevin Phillips in particular, was influential with his excellent running, and picking balls up in midfield.

Yet Brecon still managed to force the first crack in the Abergavenny defence with a reverse stick shot past the keeper 20 minutes in.

Brecon then found themselves under considerable pressure throughout the remainder of the half with various shots either going wide or being saved,

It was John Sowerby, playing in a wide left position who had the clearest opportunity, and forced a good save from the visitor's goal.

Veteran player Andy Banks slotted home Aber's first when he made no mistake in capitalising on a brilliant opportunity presented from wide right half Duncan Melville.

After the break, a fast game opened up considerably, as both teams suffered from the pace of the first half.

Up front Tony Clements was unable to convert a series of good chances, mainly due to the excellent work of the Brecon keeper, and at the other end Luke Rees pulled off a fantastic save after the Brecon forward was able to latch onto a through ball.

Left back Geraint Davies saved a short corner attempt off the line, and the game looked like it was going to end in a draw.

However, with five minutes to go, a scuffed shot at the Abergavenny goal, saw a random bounce clear the foot of the keeper following a short corner, and despite a second attempt at a goal mouth save by Davies, the ball trickled into the right corner to make the score 2-1 to Brecon.

Overall, this was a close run match that should have seen the home team clinch points, it was just the rub of the green that allowed the visitors to go home the happier.

Next week Abergavenny travel to Treforest to play an on form Cardiff Medics Team who are currently top of the league.