Aurelious denies Aberdare the win in town on town game

By Staff reporter in Football

Aberdare Town - 1

Abergavenny Town - 1

FOLLOWING their fine mid-week 1-3 victory away to AFC Porth, Abergavenny travelled to Aberaman Park for another Town versus Town encounter on Saturday.

On what was to be the warmest Saturday so far of 2017 both teams served up a keenly contested affair.

The opening exchanges were fairly even as each side set out their stall, however it was the home team who settled first, and after 22 minutes striker Robert Blatchford seized on some indecision between Abergavenny’s defence and goal keeper James Aurelious to chip into the net for a 1-0 lead.

This set back spurred Abergavenny into action and with Aberdare seemingly content to sit back, Town pressed forward in search of the equaliser.

Town came close on 30 minutes when from a free kick Ben Watkins hit the crossbar and the ball was cleared to safety.

Abergavenny were now in the ascendancy and following a good cross by Lewis Hitchcock, Luke Lewis struck to give Town a deserved goal with 37minutes gone.

The second-half kicked off and continued in much the same way as the first 45 minutes as both sides battled for the lead. At times the temperature on the pitch threatened to overheat and the referee was kept busy, though seemingly being more lenient towards the home team.

On 75 minutes Luke Lewis was presented with a free header in the box, but with the whole goal at his mercy, headed straight at Healey in the home goal who brought of a great save to deny Abergavenny a deserved lead.

With the relentless Sun bearing down on the pitch both teams rang the changes, in an attempt to freshen up their attacks, Abergavenny bringing on young Geraint Hoskins and veteran player Ben Bannon for Jamie Laurent and Sean Feeley respectively. A further substitution saw Alex Bonthron replacing Lewis Hitchcock on 85 minutes.

The last word must, however go to young James Aurelious, who following the awarding of a penalty to Aberdare on 87 minutes, pulled off a fantastic save to deny Aberdare the win. This was James’s second penalty save in successive matches as he also denied AFC Porth a second goal in the dying minutes the previous Tuesday.

Add Comment

Add Your Comment

You don't need an account to leave a comment

By posting your comment you agree to our T & C